Frequently Asked Questions
How did the Airdrop work?
-A snapshot of the Ravencoin blockchain was taken at block 2,510,000 on 2022-10-25 02:47:20-UTC.
-A list of the 50,000 addresses with the highest RVN balances was extracted. It is available for inspection at https://github.com/hans-schmidt/Ravencoin/releases/download/v4.6.2snapshot/snapshot_2510000_top50k.txt
- You can check there to verify that your address is on the list.
- The 50K cut-off included all addresses containing at least 2,673.14 RVN.
- Of the outstanding supply of RVN, 99.21% were included in the top 50K addresses (included all burned and lost RVN)!
- Note that a wallet balance and an address balance are not the same thing. A wallet usually has its balance divided into many addresses.
That list of RVN addresses was translated to EVR addresses and used as an “airdrop” at the genesis of Evrmore mining. So holders of RVN at the time of the snapshot were granted an equal number of EVR when Evrmore started. Ravencoin assets were not copied.
For practical reasons of performance and security, only the 50,000 most valuable Ravencoin addresses were eligible for the airdrop.
-Both (and only) P2PKH and P2SH RVN addresses were eligible for the airdrop. Of course the RVN had to be on-chain at the time of the snapshot (not deposited off-chain at a custodial exchange)
-The airdrop was built into the Evrmore genesis block when mining began at chain launch time.
- If an Evrmore wallet is created using the same 12-word seed which was used for a Ravencoin wallet at the snapshot height, then the EVR airdrop balance will appear automatically immediately when the Evrmore wallet is created (unless you have generated more than 1000 addresses from your seed, in which case you will need to prompt EVR core to gen more addresses)
-Airdropped EVR will need to be spent to a new address within 60 days (actually 60 x 60 x 24 blocks) after the Evrmore genesis block. This is expected to happen at roughly 2022-12-29 19:07-UTC
- Airdropped EVR which have not been moved by that chain height will expire, effectively burning them. This will remove EVR from the supply which were created by the airdrop but represented burned, lost, or disinterested RVN. Technically stated: the gensis block UTXO must be spent before block 86,400.
What is Evrmore’s Mining Algorithm ?
-Evrmore uses EvrProgPow, a Programmable Proof of Work algorithm. It is essentially identical to Ravencoin’s KawPowHash but with a starting DAG size of 3GB and an EPOCH length of 12000 blocks.
ETHASH was orignally designed for an EPOCH length of about a week. Making it too short can affect the ASIC-resistance. A comparison of EPOCH lengths:
EVR: 12000 blocks at 60sec/blk = 8.3 days ETC: 60000 blocks at 60sec/blk = 9.2 days RVN: 7500 blocks at 13.3sec/blk = 5.2 days
This will result in the following DAG size schedule: (Assuming Evrmore genesis block in Oct 2022)
3GB 4GB 5GB 6GB 8GB EVR: now 09/2025 08/2028 07/2031 05/2037 ETC: now 08/2025 11/2028 01/2032 06/2038 RVN: now 06/2023 04/2025 02/2027 10/2030
-The total number of EVR which will ever be issued is < 21 billion
-The total number of EVR in circulation will be substantially less than that amount. That number depends on how many airdrop EVR burn due to expiration 60 days after genesis, as well as how many EVR are burned over time for asset operation fees.
How much are Miners being Paid for Mining Evrmore?
-Starting with the first Evrmore block, every new block mined emits a total coinbase subsidy of 2778 EVR plus the transaction fees for that block. Of that amount, the miner can keep 90%, and 10% must be paid to one of the approved addresses of the miner development fund. For a block with no transaction fees, 2500.2 EVR can be kept by the miner and 277.8 EVR must be paid to one of the approved addresses of the miner development fund. The miner development fund will support development of Evrmore core and related code as decided by the Evrmore Foundation.
-The coinbase subsidy will be reduced in half after every SubsidyHalvingInterval. Evrmore’s SubsidyHalvingInterval will be 1648776 blocks which is approximately every 3.137 years. This number was calculated to guarantee <21 billion max EVR.
When did Evrmore mining launch?
-Evrmore block #1 was mined 2022-10-31 15:03:40-UTC
I don’t agree with something about Evrmore. What prevents me from just porting Evrmore new feature code back to Ravencoin?
-Absolutely Nothing! Evrmore is built on the Ravencoin codebase for the benefit of the Ravencoin community. We think that there are some features which make more sense on Ravencoin and others which make more sense on Evrmore. But if Evrmore adds new code which Ravencoin wants- Please! Help Yourselves! It’s open source!